Friday, August 8, 2008

small joys of my half-sunny, half-cloudy friday

-listening to a mix that kicked off with Alanis Morrissette's "Hand in My Pocket" and remembering how much more I relate to her now than when "Jagged Little Pill" never left my stereo in the '90s. And how refreshing and kick ass that feels.
-cleaning out my glove box only to find a note Emmy wrote me months ago that wished me good luck on my presentation and said she loved me or some kind of friend thing.
-talking to my brother about politics and feeling mature about the matter -- knowing I've cast some pretty blind ballots and how I know now that voting for the lesser of two evils certainly isn't the answer to any of the problems in this so-called free state we live in.
-thinking about when Todd, Emmy, Kim and I went to that protest in D.C. and remembering how many smiles were on our faces. I particularly remembered when we all bombarded that guy with hugs. This reminded me of how much times I, too, have been bombarded with hugs.
-eating a lunch a friend prepared.
-packing for a few days away with my family.
-going on a three-mile jaunt via bicycle and having kittens chase me through Indian Rocks development.
-the cherry popsicle I devoured upon arriving back at my house.

Try listing some small joys sometime. My day isn't even half over yet -- I still haven't even gone to work! Look at how much you have to be gracious for every day. It'll startle you.

Edit: Add to the list the bunch of delicious buttercream cupcakes brought in for me at work because tomorrow's my last day at The Times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cherry isn't your favorite. grape is. -jordan

Matthew said...

Hey Kendra it's Matt. Sorry it took me so long to reply to you. I admit that I chose this particular post to comment on because you posted it on my birthday. Anyway I appreciate your positivity and your waxing upon the simple profundity of just counting your blessings. Life is good. I can say this and my friend is currently dying. You are so right. My blog is indyisawayoflife.blogspot.com